A few years ago, a new play area opened up in Schaumburg called Firezone. When I read about it, I knew it would be perfect for my boys. They could dress up like firemen and climb all over a real firetruck and ambulance. It seemed like every little boys dream come true. We ventured there a few times with different friends and they always had a blast.
We haven't been there since Caleb was born, so this winter we put certificates in each of the boys' stockings to take them to Firezone. Today was President's Day and we were off school, so I decided it was the perfect day to go.
All four boys had fun. We don't venture to play areas like this much these days because we have different preschool, kindergarten and speech therapy pickup and drop off times. Back before the boys were in any kind of school, playdates at kid-themed places like this were a weekly staple in my life.
 |
| My 3 "big boys" mugging for the camera today. |
 |
| My 3 boys (back when there were only 3) buckled into the ambulance a few year ago. I love that Aaron has his Minnie Mouse buckled in too. I had forgotten about the stage where Minnie and Daisy went EVERYwhere with him. |
Today as I looked around the room during story-time, I realized how big my boys have gotten. I wasn't there juggling an infant and two toddlers on my lap like I use to do during my days of Aaron's babyhood. Instead, I have three pretty independent boys and one 20-month old "baby" (I use that term loosely since he is way more little boy than baby). I did have to follow Caleb around pretty closely since he loves stairs, climbing and being dangerous (not a good combination).
 |
| Caleb's favorite part was climbing up and down the stairs to get on the firetruck. |
 |
| K playing peekaboo through the window. |
 |
| James always posed and ready for a picture. |
 |
| Andrew is my serious one when it comes to pictures. |
 |
| Aaron all grown up. |
The woman next to me was struggling to nurse her infant under a cover while her 3 year old had a good 'ole crying and screaming fit in the middle of the quiet story and snack time. Its only been a little over a year since I was in that phase, but it already seems long gone. When I looked at her, I remembered the stress that those outings sometime provided me as I attempted to teach the boys how to keep their hands to themselves, to take turns, and make sure each of 3 dependent little ones was safe in a crowd of preschoolers.
While I sometimes miss those days where we could spend all day in our pjs and my babies loved to snuggle with me, I do enjoy these days. Today when we go on outings, they know how to share, can find the bathroom on their own (and use it) and I don't have to walk behind each one of them making sure that they are safe. Those days, months, and years of repeatedly working on behaviors like asking before taking and keeping your hands to yourself are gone. Don't get me wrong, we've replaced them with other things we are working on, but progress has been made and the focus of my parenting has changed.
I'm not sure why it struck me so much today, but it did. Sometimes in the midst of parenting, I struggle to find progress and instead focus on the things that are left to work on. I'm thankful for the reminder that today showed me, there are seasons of parenting and that looking back doesn't always have to be sad, it can be joyful. I enjoyed those early years of multiple little ones (not every moment, but overall, I did) and I'm enjoying this phase too. Again, not every single moment, but many moments each day.
 |
| Caleb driving the firetruck today. |
 |
| Aaron driving the same truck 2+ years ago. |
When I look through this pictures, I'm amazed at how Aaron has changed. Those chubby baby cheeks have melted away and left a little boy in its place. When I look at Caleb, I know that his babyhood is coming to an end. I see more and more of his personality and heart bursting through. I see glimpses of a little boy emerging. He is starting to play with cars and trains. He is dancing, laughing, and changing almost overnight. I am soaking up these last days of babyhood and anticipating another strong boy voice in my house, full of ideas, jokes, plans and questions. When I get to the never-ending question phase with Caleb, please remind me that I said I was looking forward to it.
 |
| No, I didn't adopt a 5th boy--that kid in the background isn't mine. Also, please notice how happy Caleb is in this picture. |
 |
| My Boys |
What a fun day! Isn't it a bit traumatic when you look at pictures of the same location years earlier and realize how grown up the kids have gotten! There is a time bandit out there!
ReplyDelete